Saturday 9 February 2008

What should I do on Saturday...........

It is about 8.30 on Saturday morning, and I am still in bed, obviously with the Toffee Apple (my laptop, I should take a pic of it so you understand why I call it so). But I digress.........I am confuddled, and don't want to actually get up till I solve this conundrum.  How does a wife and mother of 4 prioritize her day?? Being Saturday there is a basketball game to attend, there are school uniforms to wash, there are always dishes to do and beds to make. I vacuumed yesterday so I feel no need to do it again just yet. It is at least 10 days since I dusted. The pantry is a MESS and I just keep buying more food as I can't find the food in it and that off course compounds the problem. Lets not even mention the garden or the ironing or the state of the bathrooms!!! Now I am NO neat freak, I am comfortable with a "certain level" of chaos. But I find it extremely hard to concentrate on "fun" stuff ( ie anything fabric related) with all those other expectations running around my head. Especially as my work space is right smack bang in the middle of it. I have FSF (Fire Sale Fabric) calling me, there is a quilt to bind, a bag to finish and the seemingly impossible task of patterns to write. (Just a little aside on that subject for anyone out there who writes patterns: Is it just the first one that is hard to do?? Does it get easier as you then have a sort of template?? Or am I just a procrastinator?)
Am I mad to think I can actually find an answer to this riddle of balancing "my" needs and "family" responsibilities? Will I solve it in time to actually do ANYTHING creative today, or maybe I should just stay in bed and avoid all disappointment?? I know Melly has been having a similar dilemma this week, so I know I am not alone. Does anyone have ANY suggestions??

Well one decision has been made, I am getting up for breakfast the tummy growls are too hard to ignore and a nice bowl of hot porridge with HEAPS of brown sugar will also comfort the soul!

BFN

Lynda

PS Should tell you about the quilt. Twas a gift for my cousin Minda and her husband Dean on the occasion of their marriage. It was the first "BIG" quilt I made. It is called "Music in the Stars" and was a pattern from House and Garden Magazine would you believe. It is made of the most delicious Robyn Pandolf fabrics.

7 comments:

Nic said...

Hi Lynda,
I reckon that you should only do the chores that really need to be done before Monday. It is the weekend after all ... you should be allowed to relax and be creative without stress.

Lynda said...

Oh Joy, should I ban Guitar Hero at 9.30 on a Saturday morning. It means someone is up though!! Noise is the other major distraction of my life!!! There is SO much noise in my house. Should sneak the empty porridge bowl out the kitchen, then it might be time to shower!! Doesn't seem like I can avoid the day any longer!!!

Unknown said...

Hmm, a few hard questions, but if it were me. I'd be doing what "Had" to be done and then playing with fabrics, then the following week nights I'd be doing a little each night, if you hold down a full time job.

Lynda said...

I work from home Linda! I am trying to make my craft pay also, but...... for all the reasons I listed in the post, just doesn't seem to happen.

Lynda

Chookyblue...... said...

do the first 2 jobs that are really bugging you...sew for a couple of hours......then do another job
.......it is hard to fit in with a family but I find I get stuff done early morning or of the evening........it is all a balancing act.......but I rarely sleep in but I am very sure I waste a lot of time having the same deliberations you are........oh and I love the name of your computer.....

Lisa D. said...

Wow, that is a beautiful quilt! Very striking!

Julie said...

Hi Lynda, The only way I can achieve anything is to make a list the night before in order of priority and just do it! The best motivator is to schedule "Me" time after the 'work' is done! Good Luck!